Monday, February 13, 2012

Ballet dancing, flag waving, church goers


This past Sunday I got the chance to attend a charismatic, Evangelical church in order to write a paper for one of my university's foundational classes.  I am somewhat speechless.  Not because there are no words to explain what happened, but quite the contrary!  There was so much passion, so much love, and so much acceptance crowded into the pink corner building that they called a church.  Maybe I'll start from the beginning in order to process my thoughts a little bit more.
Myself and four others were walking from our car up one block.  We stop on the corner and I see two men sitting on steps drinking and a woman standing next to them who was smoking.  I look up to the roof and I see Seattle Vineyard.  I automatically assume this is not a church and inform the rest of the group.  About three seconds after I ask where the church would be, a dainty lady came from the pink building saying, "Are you guys here for the service?"  My assumption was wrong..what else is new?
We enter in the building and find seats near the back.  We heard the service was at least three hours long and by probably no coincidence, Gwinn closes during the same time frame.  I swear, Gwinn plots against its hungry students and opens during the times where the least amount of students will be able to make it into the heavily guarded, instantly lockable, double doors.  To say the least, we were leaving early because were were starving and couldn't risk not eating...again.
The small lady that welcomed us in, came over to check on us and asked where we were from and why we were visiting.  A few other people came up to us as well.  I felt wanted and I did not have that awkward new kid vibe that I normally feel in a new location.  We were warned by the quaint lady that the church is not so much Pentecostal but more charismatic.  During the service, she said, we would see people dancing and waving flags while others would walk around the chapel or sit in corners.  I was skeptical to see this way of worship to say the least.
I accordance with being skeptical, I was also surprised about the type of people that attended this church. I come from a pretty strict church with a primarily older congregation. My little town does not have many homeless people. This church, did have a few older members but mainly there were middle aged men and women. But, there were also about four or five members of the church (that I saw) that were homeless. I felt ashamed when I assumed this was not a church solely because of the few people sitting on the steps outside. They were members whether or not they had a home, or were smoking, or even taking a swig of alcohol. Who am I to judge. As far as I am concerned, they are regular attenders and I am not. They are participating in their faith and are growing in the word by going to church, while I sleep in on Sundays. This church accepted anyone and everyone.
After about 10 minutes of worship I was fully engaged in the service.  The music was repetitive and easy to learn.  I was especially thrilled because I was harmonizing; something that has always been a challenge for me to do in choir and in church.  Just as the rest of the members, I was filled with the Holy Spirit and I felt it.  The amount of skepticism I had prior, had vanished.  Let's not get carried away though.  I wasn't dancing around the space or waving my colorful flag around, but I was embracing the openness.  The worship section of the service was 60 minutes, but it felt more like 20 minutes.  I enjoyed every moment.  I did get a little awkward as I saw a man get up and flail around on the side of the chapel.  It isn't every day that I see someone committed to such strange movements, let alone in a church.  I'm not sure I would ever adapt to his form of dedication but I do appreciate his willingness. 
Once the worship had ended, the rest of the service was as normal as any other church I have been to. There was one interesting difference, the congregation could raise their hand and ask the pastor a question during the sermon.  The pastor fully appreciated the congregations involvement and their struggle with what he was preaching.  This church was a community. 
Due to my very obnoxious stomach, it was time to leave.  Unfortunately we did not get to see the church goers take communion, which would have been interesting to compare to my church back home.  Our assignment said we are to attend two services.  I'm curious to see what my group decides to do; I'm hoping we can complete the assignment fully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment